Subject: Rockbox crash with some mp3 files
From: Noah Smith (
Date: 2004-01-14

 Normally, I create a playlist for my entire harddrive and then play that on
shuffle. Occasionally, my Archos has locked up halfway through a song or
when switching to the next one. Usually this leaves a frozen screen with the
song that was just switched away suck, the HD activity light constantly
running, and no response from any of the buttons except to turn the device

 With one file, I was able to narrow the problem down to a certain file. The
file would play on the PC, from the connected Archos just fine. I copied
several copies of the file to the Archos to confirm that it wasn't a file
system problem. After trouble shooting a bit more, I removed the ID3v2 tag
and the mp3 stopped locking the Archos up. The problem is, apparently I have
more files like this, especially considering how hard it can be to track
them down when the screen locks up before giving you the offending file's

 I'd be glad to send an mp3 that's been crashing to anyone who needs to take
a look at it.