Subject: RE: Rockbox crash with some mp3 files
From: c0utta fish (
Date: 2004-01-15

Hi Noah,

I had the same problem last week and Linus investigated it for me and found
it was related to my ID3 tags - specifically the year. He fixed my
particular problem and committed it to CVS.

Try a daily build, and if that doesn't fix it report back to the list. I'm
sure Linus is interested in tracking down another one!

>From: "Noah Smith" <>
>Subject: Rockbox crash with some mp3 files
>Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:04:35 -0500
> Normally, I create a playlist for my entire harddrive and then play that
>shuffle. Occasionally, my Archos has locked up halfway through a song or
>when switching to the next one. Usually this leaves a frozen screen with
>song that was just switched away suck, the HD activity light constantly
>running, and no response from any of the buttons except to turn the device
> With one file, I was able to narrow the problem down to a certain file.
>file would play on the PC, from the connected Archos just fine. I copied
>several copies of the file to the Archos to confirm that it wasn't a file
>system problem. After trouble shooting a bit more, I removed the ID3v2 tag
>and the mp3 stopped locking the Archos up. The problem is, apparently I
>more files like this, especially considering how hard it can be to track
>them down when the screen locks up before giving you the offending file's
> I'd be glad to send an mp3 that's been crashing to anyone who needs to
>a look at it.

E-mail just got a whole lot better. New ninemsn Premium. Click here