Rockbox.org home
release
dev builds
extras
themes manual
wiki
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
patches
dev guide



Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Hardware problem: "H: is not accessible; The parameter is incorrect."
From: Joseph B. Keough (deadwolfbones_at_squidsoft.net)
Date: 2004-01-16


Hello, and first of all, sorry that this is going to be sort of off
topic. It's not related to Rockbox, but just a general Archos hardware
problem. I figure you guys are the most knowledgeable group on the net
when it comes to those, so hopefully you won't mind this diversion too
much.

Firstly, I am running a P4 2.53ghz, 640mb PC2700 RAM, etc etc system
with Windows XP Pro SP1.

A week or two ago at work (I work in a college computer lab), my Archos
Recorder 20 refused to load up on the lab machine, though it always has
in the past. Figuring it was some problem with a Windows patch or
somesuch, I downloaded the latest driver updates and rebooted. The
Archos still wouldn't be recognized. I tried it on the next computer
over and it worked fine. Then I tried it again on the original computer
and it went smooth as silk. Odd, I thought, and I promptly forgot about
it.

Today I turned on my Archos and discovered that when I plugged it into
its usual USB port on my computer, it didn't Autoplay as usual.
Intrigued, I opened My Computer to see if the drive was there.
Unfortunately, My Computer hung upon opening, as did anything else I
tried to open that might try to access the overall file system. Trying
to open the "Safely remove hardware" window also resulted in the window
not responding.

A bit worried now, I went to try it on another system, which runs XP
Home. There, it did the same thing. I decided I'd open Winamp and see
what happens when I try to access the drive directly through an outside
program. I got a popup window that read: "H: is not accessible; The
parameter is incorrect."

So I brought it back over to my computer, turned it on again, and went
to the Windows Disk Management, which found it as "I: (Healthy)
(Active)" as seen here: http://wuh.squidsoft.net/diskmanagement.jpg
Attempting to check properties or anything on it resulted in Disk
Management hanging and having to be killed via Task Manager.

Finally, I decided to load it up in Winamp on my computer and attempt to
access the drive and got this: http://wuh.squidsoft.net/notformatted.jpg

Oddly, despite all this, the player works fine as a player. The only
thing that's not working is the USB connection.

I'm at ends here. Hope you guys can help.

Thanks :)

Ben K.



Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew
aaa