Subject: Re: Newbie needs help, help, help!!

Re: Newbie needs help, help, help!!

From: svante t <svante_at_demonbox.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:49:00 +0100

Hi,
You probably have a PDF-viewer of some kind on your computer (most
machines have Acrobat Reader). Download and open the Rockbox Manual:
http://rockbox.haxx.se/manual/manual.pdf

The below part is all information you need to get going:

>2 INSTALLING THE FIRMWARE
>To install Rockbox, unzip the firmware file to the root folder (the
>topmost folder) of your Jukebox. When your Jukebox powers on, it
>loads the Archos firmware in ROM, which automatically checks your
>Jukebox hard disk's root folder for a file named archos.mod (on the
>player version) or ajbrec.ajz (on the recorder version).

If you've passed this stage and boot with a Rockbox screen, maybe
your problem is that you dont have a folder called .rockbox with a
dot in the beginning. That dot is important!!

Copy the whole structure of the zip file you downloaded to your
Archos and you dont need to create it yourself.
Or open a command prompt and type: mkdir j:\.rockbox (if j: is your
archos harddrive)

All of this information is available on the Rockbox website.
But I do think we should have a really clear text file maybe in the
zips called INSTALLATION or something like that so that noone can
miss it...

/Svante