Subject: Re: Gmini and legal issues
From: Laurent Giroud (laurent.giroud_at_libertysurf.fr)
Date: 2004-01-18

Björn Stenberg wrote:
> Laurent Giroud wrote:
> > However, before publishing something here I wanted to make sure I would not
> > be breaching any laws.
>
> As you yourself say, only a lawyer can give you proper legal advice. But I can give you my opinions. :-)

They are welcome :)

> > The main problem is that rockbox could be considered as a program that does
> > "something similar" [to the original firmware] which would invalidate not
> > the right to disassemble, but the right to design, produce or commercialize
> > (no problem with this last one) rockbox for the gmini.
>
> I have doubts about this paragraph. If it really means what you interpret it to mean, then OpenOffice would also be illegal in France, for reverse engineering the Microsoft Office file format and "doing something similar". Interoperability by reverse engineering, and thus much of the competition in todays software market, would be outlawed!
>
> Somehow I doubt that is the purpose of this law.

You are most probably right there but I fail to understand how this "something similar" should be understood, this is probably something only a lawyer could do since they are used to manipulate such subtleties. I have found a few ones who are used to copyright issues and wanted to contact them on the previous weeks but could not find enough time to do so, I hope I'll find some this week.

Regards,
Laurent