Subject: Still images
From: BlueChip (cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net)
Date: 2004-01-19

I chatted briefly with Dogger on irc last night about the display of still
images ...how many grey scales do we achieve?

If we run at 72fps, and given that the human eye wil perceive animation at
24fps, we have the option of pixel on for 0, 1, 2 or 3 periods, giving four
grey-scale values.

But my math does not match what my eye tells me.

If, however, the >4 grey-scales are an optical illusion and my math is
correct, a still frame viewer should be able to generate the pixel values
real time and therefore remove the prerequirement for transcoding to film
before display?

BC