Subject: Re: Difficulties loading .cfg files
From: c0utta fish (
Date: 2004-01-21

I've been reading this thread with interest over the last few days and
couldn't resist having the final say. I'm working on a fully configurable
F2 menu patch that will allow exactly the type of behaviour discussed.

I also plan to extend the use of this menu to allow setting of options. For
example, if you want to set the volume to 75% you'll be able to do that
immediately. If you want to run a particular plug-in, you'll be able to do
that too. You will be able to add and delete menu items on the fly. I have
to get Linus and Björn to agree to these proposals first :-)

And yes Jörg, I have been able to keep the quick screen functionality at the
same time. It is too good to lose.

Context sensitive F3 ? I'm laying the foundations for that, but it isn't as
easy and may not be easy configured on the fly.

Watch this space..

>From: "Henrik Backe" <>
>Subject: Re: Difficulties loading .cfg files
>Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:55:58 +0100
>"Björn Stenberg" <> wrote in message
> >c s wrote:
> >> (1) "Manage Settings" belongs at the root level, not in "System" since
> >> used to manage all settings, not just system settings.
> >
> >I can agree with that.
> >
>I also agree
> >> (2) "Sleeptimer" belongs back at the root where it use to be. Just
> >> "Bookmarks", there is/was a reason for it being at the root. It is not
> >> persistant setting but rather a tool that must be accessed every time
> >> want to use it.
>I agree
> >
> >But should all such tools really be at the root level? Shouldn't then the
>plugin browser >also be at the root level? And recording. And "view id3
>tags" etc?
>You have a good point everything can not be put at the root level but the
>examples were not so good.
>The plugin browser and and recording are already in the root menu,
>view id3 tags really belong in a context sensitive menu.
>Also many of the "tool" type of entries under the current f1 menu belongs
>in context sensitve menues, for example bookmarks and playlists.
>So I believe the current debate is a bit premature, when the new context
>sensitve menu and the new user configurablee f2 menu are in place
>most of the issues discussed in this thread will be solved.
>The reordering of the f1 menu was a much needed step in the redesign of the
>ui, but it is not last step.

Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium. Click here