Subject: Re: MAX_LANGUAGE_SIZE too small
From: Magnus Holmgren (lear_at_algonet.se)
Date: 2004-01-21

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Alex Pleiner wrote:

> english.lang is growing with the latest additions and changes. So does
> my private deutsch.lang (attached for reference). It has exceeded the
> current value for MAX_LANGUAGE_SIZE of 6000 by almost 400 Bytes. I tried
> to keep the German strings as short as possible (and still
> understandable) but I guess it will not be easy to stay below 6000 Bytes
> for the compiled version.
>
> How about other languages?

There are some strings that could be "emptied" now, I think. E.g., the
snake game strings, as well as the games/demos menu entries. That would
save some bytes, but perhaps it isn't enough. And maybe there are other
strings there that aren't used any more (I've been thinking about writing
a script to do the checking; I guess perl is good at the task, but I'm not
good at perl :).

Since there are a number of obsolete strings now, perhaps it is time to
consider removing them completely (making old language files
incompatible)...

--
Magnus Holmgren