Subject: Re: Queue functions (was Re: file menu)
From: Hardeep Sidhu (hardeeps_at_pobox.com)
Date: 2004-01-29

Jean Boullier wrote:

> The Queue function is the natural way of using a jukebox, a real big
> Jukebox I mean. And although we all use playlists most of the time
> probably, there are occasions where the Queue way is very convenient,
> e.g. in parties.

The insert functions don't modify the original playlist in any way so I
don't see why they can't be used instead of the queue functions in the
occasions you mention.

> By the way Hardeep, are you addressing the 3 Queue items of the
> Playlist submenu in particular, or all items of this sybmenu?

Just the 3 queue items.

> If it is really the true Queue functions what does your reference to
> the playlist editor mean? Do you imply that if we do not want to keep
> the inserted files in the list we can use the Insert functions and
> then go cleaning with the editor? If so is this your view of ergonomy
> or ease of use? 8-)

It's certainly a lot easier to have them deleted automatically. :)
However, if this feature is rarely used then the extra steps required to
delete a track is minor. I can tell you that, since adding the dynamic
playlist functionality, I have never used the queue functions except for
testing purposes.

> Last question, what is the problem with having both the Queue
> functions AND the playlist editor? Are the Queue functions costing so
> much in the module?

I have been told by several people that the number of options is
overwhelming. Furthermore, any time you need to add a new insert
function (I was planning on adding a random insert), you need to also
add an equivalent queue function which increases the number of options
even more. The only time I can see queue being useful is when users run
in repeat all mode and loop through the same playlist multiple times.
I'm just trying to find out how many of you actually do that.

One other thought I had in reducing the number of options was to get rid
of "Queue next" and "Queue last", leaving only Queue. Any new options
that are added would only be for Insert. Does that sounds like a
reasonable compromise?

Thanks for your feedback.

-Hardeep