Subject: RE: mp3 tools
From: Fred Maxwell (rockbox_at_anti-spam.org)
Date: 2004-01-30

Johan Vromans wrote:

> "Andreas Stemmer" <groovingandi_at_gmx.de> writes:
>
> > They are not all open source, you're right. My question was if it is
> > important to the reader whether they are open source or "only" free?
>
> Yes, it is. It is a very essential difference and it is important that
> people are aware that they can choose for Open Source Software.

I disagree. For the vast majority of people, the important question is
whether the software is how well the software works and whether it is
freeware, adware, spyware, shareware, or commercial. Most users lack either
the skills or time to make changes to software and would not download the
source even if it were available.

Some of the finest software available is freeware but is not open source. I
would not trade my free anti-virus software for open-source anti-virus
software unless the open source anti-virus software worked better. I would
not trade my freeware (actually "postcardware") CD audio extraction for open
source software unless the open source software did a better job. Being
closed source does not make a given piece of software any less desirable to
MOST people.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell