Subject: RE: mp3 tools

RE: mp3 tools

From: Fred Maxwell <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:00:10 -0500

Jon Drukman wrote:

> At 11:23 AM 1/30/2004, Fred Maxwell wrote:
> >Not at all. The question is whether it's an issue for most people and I
> >don't think that it is. I'm sure that there are some people who don't
> want to use software developed in France, but it doesn't meant that the
> country of origin should appear on the list.
>
> i would think that people who are drawn to rockbox would be interested in
> whether or not something is open source.

I use Rockbox and would do so even if it was not open source. I don't care.
I use it because it works well and is available at no cost.

That's probably enough on this topic for me. I have no desire to get into a
flame war about something as unimportant as how files are labeled on a web
page. If it makes you happy to have a tag next to each file that says open
source BSD license, open source Apache-style license, open source Gnu Public
License, closed source, etc., I'm not that concerned.

> and while we're on the topic: my recommendation for open source mp3 tag
> tool: http://mp3bookhelper.sourceforge.net/ - don't be put off by the
> name. i use it for everything now. it takes a little getting used to but
> it has way more features than any other tagger i have used. and hey, it's
> open source!

Thanks. I have just downloaded and installed it (but didn't download and
read the source). It looks pretty powerful. It's not really intuitive, but
that's not a big deal. It seems a slow compared to the editors I've been
using (MP3 Tag Studio, Tagagotchi, and ID3 TagIt). I like the way it shows
multiple directories at once and the MP3 Info tab is really great. Now if
only I could get someone to read through all of the source for me so that I
would know if there was anything harmful in it...

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell