Subject: Re: RLOD -> RMA anyone?

Re: RLOD -> RMA anyone?

From: Fred <planet77_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 02:31:53 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "chris" <fool_at_dfw.net>
To: <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 11:48 PM
Subject: RLOD -> RMA anyone?

> hi,
>
> i suffer the sudden-movement-causes-hangup type RLOD syndrome and
> i just bought my jbr a few months ago, so it is still under warranty.
> anyone had any luck RMA'ing their unit and getting it repaired for
> free? it's rather a pain that i cannot use it while jogging, skiing,
> etc; once it hangs even powering off/on doesn't reliably fix it,
> sometimes it will come back up at the same point in the song (judging
> from the progress meter) and access the hard drive forever again
> without actually making any noise or advancing the progress meter:
> (red light stays on, though it seems dimmer). i can eventually
> manage to get it to stop the vicious cycle by navigating (quickly)
> thru the menus to set resume = no and then powering off/on.
> even access to the menus seems to go away within about 15 seconds
> of startup in this situation (and it's not reliably that bad, just
> once out of every 4 or 5 RLOD's. the other ones, just a power cycle
> does seem to fix it).
>
> anyhow, i know that people who have swapped disks tend to lose the
> RLOD type problems, but i'm hoping to hold on to my warranty for
> a little while longer...
>
> thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi!

Perhaps it sounds silly, but I had very good results using the original archos
firmware, although I flashed my JBR. (Just push F1 long enough down while you put
ON)
It's not as comfortable as Rockbox but if I have to run or walk a lot, I use the
Archos firmware, if not I use the rockbox firmware. Good to have two Systems ;-)

This is my advice... I have an Hitachi drive in my Archos, do you have it, too?
Many people say that the Hitachi HD's often have this problems. And it's not nice
to wait 30 seconds for a song to play or to have other stunts with an expensive
piece of HiFi hardware.

Have nice day
Fred

o====>> JUDGMENT DAY <<====o