Subject: Re: Firmware for AV300 Series

Re: Firmware for AV300 Series

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:10:55 +0100

[IDC]Dragon wrote:
> > Avos primary aim is to port Linux to the AV/MM units.
> Is it?

I don't pretend to speak for them, but that's what I have been told in IRC.

> Well, I hope my AJBRec lasts on me, mp3s stay in fashion, and larger 2.5"
> disks with parallel interfaces, too. The AV3xx is nice, but I can't bear
> another project.

I know what you mean. Let me reassure you, however, that I have no intentions to abandon the AJBR. It's a vastly superior mp3 player compared to the AV300.

My motivations for taking on the AV300 are, in no specific order:

- It's got _very_ nice hardware ("MAME" was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the AV300... :-)

- The Avos guys have done much of the gruntwork in figuring out the hardware interfaces, which means I can skip some of the long boring nights of trial-and-error programming and dig into the more sexy stuff faster.

- It will be an interesting exercise in making Rockbox more portable, opening up possibilities for more ports (iRiver, Rio, Xclef or whatever else someone may want to hack on.)

--
Björn