Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: audio/video player released, authoring tools
From: [IDC]Dragon (
Date: 2004-02-06

> > I get about 1700 ms without poweroff and 2460 with, some variance,
> That sounds reasonable. Poweroff adds about a second to the spinup time.
> > The low watermark of the A/V player is currently defined to 2500 ms.
> I wonder if it's really worth spinning down the disk at all on 2MB units.
> Have you done any calculations?

Not really. It would rather require measurements I guess, to compare the
amount of energy for a spinup with the energy to keep it running meanwhile.

For 8MB the spindown is really nice, disk quiet for a substantial time.
Probably video doesn't need much more power than mp3 playback. I'd expect a
runtime of many hours on these.

jetzt 3 Monate GRATIS + 3x DER SPIEGEL +++ +++