Subject: Re: audio/video player - a hint and a question
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-02-06

> Very nice. I've added an unsharp mask filter with "strong" settings
> (diameter 5, Strength 100) in VirtualDub before creating my own
> Futurama video. Now it looks even better. :)

Better than mine? ;)
Such filtering is probably masking the poor downscaling algorithm. The
downscaling should filter according to the ratio, instead you do it manually
beforehand.

> - Why is the video "pumping" 3 times (?) per second?
> It looks like the image is getting noise pixels instantly that are
> going away some frames later.

That is interference between the 67 Hz screen update and the true readout
frequency of the LCD. Ideally they are the same, see the thread about fps
testing.

> - Why do you suggest to create a 67 fps video? I thought the human eye
> can only distinguish ~ 20 fps? (Hm, maybe I should test this...)

It's because of the way the halftoning works, see above. I need to modulate
the pixels as fast as possible, and the highest I can get is the LCD scan
rate itself.

Jörg