Subject: Re: MP3-Cutter for CUE-Files?

Re: MP3-Cutter for CUE-Files?

From: (wrong string) ürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:23:48 +0100

> > I am looking for an MP3-cutting utility that can cut a large MP3-file
> > into separate songs by the corresponding .CUE-file. This should be
> > done at once, so that I get all the songs cutted out at once. Is there
> Andreas has pointed me to 2 utilities. I just wanted to tell, that MUSICUTTER did the job
> very easy (did not need to read any manual). With MP3DIRECTCUT i couldn´t do it
> even after about 15 min investigating and reading the manual.
> Andre

Yes, MP3DirectCut has a very crude user interface. It took me quite a
while to understand it and the manual does not tell all details. But once
understood it is a very fast tool because it does not convert (expand)
your MP3 files into wave and back but directly juggles with the MP3
frames. I don't know MUSICUTTER but does it work the same?
All other MP3 handling programs I found were extremely slow because
of the expansion on loading and the MP3 coding for saving.

Maybe some tips help to work with MP3DirectCut:

*) Because of the direct MP3 frame manipulation the graphical display
is unvisible at the beginning of the file when variable bit rate (VBR) files
like those recorded with Archos Jukebox Recorder are used . You have
to move a little forward (with the cursor right key) to see it.

*) Once you see a graphical display of the file content you can play
and stop music with the space key.

*) You can click with the mouse into the graphic to define a cutting point
(selection). The two upper left buttons from 'audio' let you hear 2 seconds
before or 2 seconds after this selection. You can click again to change the
selection. Once you have found the best point where to cut the file you have
to use 'Cut'. Then this point becomes a 'cut' and can be viewed under 'List'.

*) How to remove an existing Cut? That took me a realy long time to find
out. Use 'List' to jump to the desired cut then 'Edit'. This will convert your
cut back into a simple selection. If you click somewhere else the selection
will move and you can 'Cut' again at this new place.

*) After you have defined a 'cut' it seems not possible to hear again the two
seconds before and after a cut (the buttons do not work). But you can use
'List' to jump to a cut and then use 'Set begin' to create a selection at exact
this cut. Then you are able to use again the 2 seconds before and after buttons.

*) If you click into a file a selection of zero length is created and 'cut' defines
this selection as a point where to split the file if you use 'save split'. But if you
drag the mouse then the selection gets wider and 'cut' also removes the selected
part from the file if saved. In this case you can use two additional audio buttons
not only to play 2 seconds before and after the *beginning* but also 2 seconds
before and after the *end* of the selection. If you want to do this with an already
defined cut you first have to jump there with 'List' again. This brings you to the
beginning of the cut. Use 'Set begin' to define this place as the beginning
of a selection. If you now play the 2 seconds before this selection the cursor
remains at the *end* of the cut afterwards and you can use 'Set end' to set the
end of the selection. Now the playing buttons are available again and the selection
fits exactly your previously defined cut.

Maybe there are more elegant solutions for the examples above but that's what I
found out so far (I'm still learning). If someone has further questions just ask.

Jürgen Hestermann