Subject: Re: Serial connection and Rockbox?

Re: Serial connection and Rockbox?

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:47:07 +0000

At 22:28 10/02/04, you wrote:
>[IDC]Dragon wrote:
>>>Right, so it's kinda... half-duplex without modding the box?
>>
>>Correct.
>>
>>>So... some kind of two-way communication is possible without internal
>>>modding, though it may not be overly fast?
>>
>>Yes, I use this e.g. for my Alpine CD changer emulation, to hookup to a car
>>stereo. It doesn't require much speed.
>>The max. baudrate on the RX (remote) pin is 345600 Baud for a recorder,
>>Clk/32. The transmit would have to be done by bitbanging, which can also
>>be quite
>>fast. We do similar for the LCD and get >800kHz.
>>It can be envisioned to tie multiple boxes together and form a kind of
>>network with it, collision detection like for ethernet.
>>Jörg
>>

>So fairly fast communication could be possible, it just wouldn't be any
>kind of existing protocol for the low-level stuff.
>
>Is the RX pin the 4th pole on the headphone socket that the in-line remote
>hooks up to? So there'd be two physical connections for two-way communication?
>
>That seems reasonable :) In fact, for an Mp3 player, it's options seem
>quite wide.
>
>I think I'm gonna have to pick up a C book after this week's over (ICT
>coursework implementation and the start of testing to be in on Thursday,
>or my head). If I'm hoping to be getting to grips with networking anytime
>soon, I'll have to study double-time :)
>
>I don't hold up much hope in myself, but a little pipedream never hurt
>anyone :)
>
>It's interesting seeing just what is possible with the hardware to hand. I
>mean, we've already got faux-greyscale movies with sound, and it was no
>way designed for that :) I'd say Rockbox adds a good ~£100 to the value of
>a JBR :)
>
>Joe

Have to offer my advice on my favourite C book:

Title: C/C++ Second Edition - Programmer's Reference
Author: Herbert Schildt
Publisher: Osbourne
ISBN: 0-07-212706-6
Cost: $20 / £13

It will NOT teach you how to program - it will NOT _teach_ you how to use
pointers & references (I have a great PDF (somewhere) for that) - but it IS
THE best programmer's reference I have ever found.

BC