Subject: Re: Recording and line-in

Re: Recording and line-in

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:27:36 -0000 (GMT)

It's not so much a _powered_ mic that you need, but actually an
_amplified_ mic - there is a difference! Most microphones, including
powered electret type mics produce quite a low power output, whereas a
regular line level is much higher. This is why many sound hardwares (e.g.
computer sound card, hifi etc) have separate mic and line inputs. The
Archos jukebox only has the one line level input, so the output from most
mics must be amplified to bring it up to line level.