Subject: RE: File system corruption

RE: File system corruption

From: Pedro Clemente <Pedro.Clemente_at_netcabo.pt>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:48:56 -0000

I tried to post a message earlier, but i haven't seen it posted here
yet...

I'm having trouble with fs corruption all the time now, and it started
about a week or two.

I now for sure that it has to do with the current builds because with
the last stable (2.1) version it does not happen.

It started happening when i downloaded a daily build (can't realy
remember which, has been a while) and when i went to modify my playlist,
just by selecting a new song manually (browsing the disk and pressing
play), i would get that *panic* message, stating that dir entry 0 was
empty or something.

If after that i would brwose to the .rockbox folder, all i would see was
an empty dir.
Weird things to say are that if i tried to put a file on that folder
which had been there previously, it would'n allow me, saying it already
existed.
I wasn't able to delete the folder also.

Only after running scandisk on the drive would i got a file named
.rockbox in the root, and a folder with recovered files, which were all
badly named.

Right now, the only way i have to keep using the box (for playing that
is, works fine in usb) is never changing what i'm hearing, only allowing
it to naturally play all the songs it had previosly.

I've tryed replacing, and even deleting the playlist control file, but
neither help because you always need to select some new stuff to play,
and when i do that, there's *panic* again.

Even with the same playlist control file and .rockbox folder (before
corruption affects it), the 2.1 firmware works normally.

I already tried formatting the hd thinking it was a hd problem, but no
disk tool found any, and as i said before, i keep using it very well
from windows via usb. I've copied various gb of files without problems,
only to just press play on file by mistake, and finding myself again
without music hearing capabilities.

Sorry for the long e-mail, and for any incomplete information.
Anything i can do to help you better detect what's wrong, please tell
me, and i will do it!

Pedro Clemente