Subject: Re: File system corruption

Re: File system corruption

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:23:58 +0100 (MET)

> I have read numerous reports on file system corruption the last few
> weeks, but I don't have a clear picture of what's going on.

I don't know if I'm to blame for this (hope not!). I did some optimization
to the sector reading in ata.c (not writing), see:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/rockbox/firmware/drivers/ata.c

Somebody in IRC (Kargatron) had problems with the assembler optimization I
committed on Jan 27th. Hardeep made tests with him, it went away when using my
older C routines by #define PREFER_C, but those are slower.

Why this happens is a mystery to me, how can I read from the ATA register
too fast? I'd say the waitstates are not OK if such can happen.

However, I made another change to the assembler code, spreading the read
accesses further apart. Looks a bit weird, but no performance penalty. Committed
on Feb 9th. I have no feedback if there are problems with the daily builds
since the 10th.

Jörg
(praying that it wasn't me, Quelsaruk please prepare some goats!)