Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Rockbox emulates M-Bus car CD changer (Alpine and OEM)

Re: ANNOUNCE: Rockbox emulates M-Bus car CD changer (Alpine and OEM)

From: jobarjo <jobarjo78_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:32:18 +0100

I didn't mean to poll.
If I understood correctly, there is a PIO connected to the remote pin.
I dont know if it is possible in the archos, but it might be possible to
trigger an interrupt at each transition. The interrupt handler measures the
time to the previous transition with a timer and write the value in a
buffer. It might also call a handling routine which converts the time
between transitions to numeric values (depends on the encoding : serial,
sony slink, mbus, infrared...).
This low level protocol handler could then call an higher level protocol
handler which would interact with the player and may respond with the same
signal.

To trigger an interrupt at each transition, the handler just switches the
interrupt polarity at each transition.

When the high level protocol decides to transmit data, it just disable the
interrupt for the input and then it can drive the remote pin.

This technique of setting the interrupt handler for each transition is used
in the universal infrared receiver design. I think that it is generic enough
to provide a general purpose remote control api.

I've read about the sony s-link, which seems very similar to the M bus
encoding (pulses to encode 0 and 1) it is also compatible with this generic
technique.

The sony S-link seems more interesting to me because sony pilot changer are
cheap and widespread. The protocol is also well documented. It is even
possible to display song names.