Subject: Re: Dir Buffer Full on New Recorder v2 (non-FM)
From: c s (
Date: 2004-02-13

--- Björn Stenberg <> wrote:
> Seth Fischer wrote:
> > I bought a 20 GB Jukebox Recorder v2 (non-FM) and
> when I install Rockbox and
> > cycle the power, I get
> >
> > Dir Buffer Full!
> How many files and directories do you have in the
> root directory?

I have seen this a couple of times when installing
Rockbox for the first time (on v1 recorders). It
doesn't seem to have anything to do with actually
having too many file in the root or anywhere else
since both times the instalation was being done on a
clean (empty) disk. I suspect that there is some
problem that occurs on the initial startup when no
actual config sector data exists on the disk and that
somehow corrupts something that makes Rockbox use a
corrupt value for the dir buffer size (and then
Rockbox probably saves the corrupt value in the config
sector). Since it only happened to me twice, I don't
remember exactly what actions I had to take to get rid
of the problem, and I haven't had a great desire to
completely wipe a disk clean to try to re-create the

The bad thing about this bug is that experienced
Rockbox users rarely if ever see it, but it will
mainly hit brand new users who may then just assume
that Rockbox doesn't work properly and just give up on

Do you Yahoo!?