Subject: Re: Is it Possible to Randomly Play across all directories and/or subdirectories?
From: Neon John (johngd_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 2004-02-15

Do it with a playlist.

Mount your Jukebox on your computer and get a command prompt (assuming
windoze)

Go to the root of your music. In my case that would be g:\

Execute the following:

g:\>dir *.* /b/s/A-d >playlist.m3u

The command line switches are as follows:

/b Bare listing - only the qualified file name
/s Recurse the directory structure
/A-d List everything except directories.

Dismount your Jukebox, set the play mode to random and play the playlist.

On my Jukebox, I have a directory called \01-playlists. The "01" makes it
sort to the top. Inside this directory is a playlist for each band, created
as above but in the band's home directory. There is a playlist for every
genre such as bigband.m3u, rock.m3u, etc. I created these lists by executing
the above command into several files and editing out the bands that didn't
apply. Then there is an "all.m3u" that plays the whole jukebox.

This works great. I rarely venture into the actual music directories.

You can use WinAmp to build playlists but when you want to play a whole
directory or tree, the "dir" method is quicker and easier.

John

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:42:32 -0800, "James McNiff" <lobolobo99_at_hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have installed the latest Rockbox (way cool) on my Archos. Is there a way
>to randomly shuffle play across the entire contents of the disk (instead of
>only within a directory) like you can with the IPOD?
>
>If the only way to do so is to use a playlist, can you point me to a good
>resource that explains how to make that happen?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>lobolobo99_at_hotmail.com

---
John De Armond