Subject: Assembly optimization taken out (was Re: File system corruption)

Assembly optimization taken out (was Re: File system corruption)

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:57:09 +0100 (MET)

> I'll send you three versions of Rockbox in separate email. Can you please
> test them?
> "normal.ajz" should be like the daily build
> "prefer_c.ajz" has the compile switch for not using the assembler code for
> ATA
> "waitstate.ajz" has an extra waitstate for the ATA registers

The tests have shown that the assembler code doesn't reliably work on his
disk, even with maximum waitstates. As I said before, this is most strange. It
should be impossible to read the data "too fast". But reality has shown
different for some users.

I'm very sorry for any kind of data loss this has caused. How could I have
foreseen that?

The code itself is trivial and OK, but somehow causing a timing problem.
What a pity that it has to go, it was really faster, a nice to have. Maybe we
can clarify this mystery one day.

Again sorry,
Jörg