Subject: Re: MP3 Tools
From: Brian Wolven (brian.wolven_at_verizon.net)
Date: 2004-02-15

BlueChip wrote:

> Also ...Without downloading and trying all the synch utils - I wonder
> if anyone knows about a feature I would find useful...?
>
> I often edit the MP3 tags (add v2 genres; ratings; artwork; urls)
> The thing is that (1) Due to Tag Padding the filesize will not change
> and (2) Only the first or last few K will have changed - So, a full
> binary compare takes an age of Sundays and is not required.
>
> Do any of the Windoze synch utils check ONLY the Beginning and End of
> the MP3 data?

I usually rely on the date/time checking features of the sync software I
use, since editing like this updates the modification time for the
files. I use an old .exe version of FileProcessor by Paul Lutus (newer
versions are Java) to do this. It can do a full binary compare if that
option is selected, as well as pruning of deleted files, etc. Simple,
but very effective.