Subject: Video plugin and tools problems/limitations

Video plugin and tools problems/limitations

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:20:46 +0100

First of all I have to say: excellent work, Jörg!

Now on topic: As I like the new video-with-audio feature very
much, I did convert quite a number of videos to rvf and as I
also like to test extreme cases, I summarize my findings here.

Problems with the tools and the video conversion path:

- "AVItoYUV" does not read AVIs >= 2 GB (about 1:06h at RGB24
  uncompressed, 112x64, 25fps (PAL)) -> longer films have to
  be split into 2GB packets to convert them to YUV. As YUV
  are only raw frames without header, you can re-join the
  packets after conversion, so this is a minor problem. As
  AVItoYUV is probably not Jörg's development (file date!),
  he may not be able to correct this problem either.

- "Halftone" does not read YUVs >= 2 GB (about 2:12h at 25fps
  (PAL)) -> longer films have to be halftoned in 2 GB packets.
  As RVF without audio is also headerless, you can also join
  the packets after conversion, but since the frames in the
  RVF are not independent (halftoning is done across several
  frames!), you see a small glitch at the joint. I tested
  this with "Lord of the Rings 1" (yep!)

- "RVF_MUX" has problems multiplexing the video with audio
  that uses MPEG2 or MPEG2.5 sample rates (24k-22.05k-16k-12k-
  11.025k-8k): "Audio sync error in file <MP3file> at
  <position>, possibly corrupted" is displayed multiple (many)
  times, sometimes rvf_mux even hangs. All test MP3s were
  prepared with LAME 3.95, CBR and VBR.

Problems with the video.rock:

The plugin resets ALL audio settings EXCEPT volume to their
defaults (on the chip, but not in the firmware!) (that is
0 dB for treble, bass, loudness; 0% for balance, bass boost;
stereo channel configuration). You have to enter each setting
in the sound settings menu and up/down them by one in order
to get them back or reload the from a .cfg file.

Again: keep up the good work!

Jens