Subject: Re: VBR Mp3s created by the recorder

Re: VBR Mp3s created by the recorder

From: Henry Mitchell <hmitchell_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 03:44:00 -0800

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> When recording, Rockbox is unable to update the Xing header with the
> seek point table (the TOC). Therefore it generates a Xing header
> containing the length, size etc, but without a TOC. The TOC can be added
> using the "Update VBR file" in the ON+Play menu, or with a PC tool, for
> example VBRFix.

Great, that explains a lot and I'll try out the update VBR file option
later (I'm now recording a morning radio show).

> This is news to me. Can you provide some files for analysis?
It was admittedly a hasty test, so maybe it was just the FMR acting up
as far as temporarily locking. As for not playing on my PC, that was
definitely an issue. The only file I have right now is 500MB, so I'll
try to generate some smaller samples in a day or two.

BTW, I usually record radio talk shows that I just listen to later in
the day/week and the delete, so maybe CBR recording would be fine and
eliminate the seek issue. Is there an explanation of the quality
settings 0-7? I looked through the manual and saw no explanation.

Many thanks.