Subject: Re: Windoze 98se & Slow USB 2.0
From: Jon Drukman (jsd_at_cluttered.com)
Date: 2004-02-19

At 11:39 AM 2/18/2004, BlueChip wrote:
>I have noticed lately that my JBR20 seems to be a little slow.
>
>Given the recent article on SlashDot, I donwloaded Sandra to sniff the USB
>port once the drive was connected.
>
>Sandra reports:
>
>Root Hub: USB Port 1
>Device Connected to Port : USB Storage Adapter V3 (TPP)
>OEM Device Name : In-System Design USB 2.0 ATA Bridge
>Device Version : 11.01
>Device ID : VEN_05AB, DEV_0060, PRT_00
>USB Version : 2.00
>Speed : Full (12Mbps)
>Configuration Settings : 1
>Open Pipes : 2
>Transfer Type : Bulk
>Data Packet Size : 64 bytes
>
>What concerns me is that 12Mbps is the "Full" speed of USB 1.1 ...USB 2.0
>should be running at 480Mbps afaict
>
>I have tried both of the drivers on the Archos site, and both give the
>same results.
>
>Does anybody have any idea what I am doing wrong or maybe where I can find
>more generic drivers?

maybe try this one? http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2098-10163320.html

i am running windows XP and i checked out sandra's report. it looks the
same as yours except mine says:

Speed: High (480Mbps)

from quick googling it looks like usb2.0 support in 98 is not widespread
and might be dependent on the device manufacturer supplying a specific driver.

-jsd-