Subject: Re: Windoze 98se & Slow USB 2.0
From: BlueChip (
Date: 2004-02-19

>>I have noticed lately that my JBR20 seems to be a little slow.
>>Given the recent article on SlashDot, I donwloaded Sandra to sniff the
>>USB port once the drive was connected.
>>Sandra reports:
>>Root Hub: USB Port 1
>>Device Connected to Port : USB Storage Adapter V3 (TPP)
>>OEM Device Name : In-System Design USB 2.0 ATA Bridge
>>Device Version : 11.01
>>Device ID : VEN_05AB, DEV_0060, PRT_00
>>USB Version : 2.00
>>Speed : Full (12Mbps)
>>Configuration Settings : 1
>>Open Pipes : 2
>>Transfer Type : Bulk
>>Data Packet Size : 64 bytes
>>What concerns me is that 12Mbps is the "Full" speed of USB 1.1 ...USB 2.0
>>should be running at 480Mbps afaict
>>I have tried both of the drivers on the Archos site, and both give the
>>same results.
>>Does anybody have any idea what I am doing wrong or maybe where I can
>>find more generic drivers?
>maybe try this one?
>i am running windows XP and i checked out sandra's report. it looks the
>same as yours except mine says:
>Speed: High (480Mbps)
>from quick googling it looks like usb2.0 support in 98 is not widespread
>and might be dependent on the device manufacturer supplying a specific driver.

I'm awaiting a long (and very slow) transfer right now (hence checking my
email), I will try the suggested driver, probably tomorrow now, and get
back to you/the group.

You have clearly put in a fair chunk of effort to bring me that information
- web browsing and probably installing Sandra - I'm not sure how I can
return the favour, but in the mean time, I hope "Thank You" will suffice :)