Subject: Re: Question about "max files in dir"

Re: Question about "max files in dir"

From: Daniel Gudlat <gudlat_at_web.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:12:29 +0100

David Litchman wrote:
> Ok, I know the default is 400, and it can be increased to 10000, but why
> is the default 400 in the first place? Is there any benefit to having
> the limit lower than the max? I have just under 4000 files on my box,
> would it be better to lower the limit to 4000, or just go ahead and
> leave it at 10000?

Memory is tight, and each of those file dir and playlist entries eats up
valuable memory. In fact, I usually lower those limits to what I
maximally need, which is 150 files in dir and 3000 entries in playlist,
to free up mp3 buffer memory.

BTW, none of those limits has any relation to how many file you have on
your box, unless you also have a playlist with all those files, or you
have all the files in one directory, which is inadvisable for a host of
other reasons.

Greetings,
--
Daniel Gudlat