Subject: Re: Video plugin and tools problems/limitations

Re: Video plugin and tools problems/limitations

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:26:50 +0100 (MET)

> >> - Question: Is it possible to set the "repeat" flag in the
> >> RVFh...
>
> > Yes, the player is using this flag, you can do so. ...
>
> Ok. Will do a run time test this way, but not today/tomorrow.

And be aware with your hex-editing that Rockbox is big-endian.

> > It seems the POSIX file functions I use for portability dont
> > > 2 GB. If I give that up, I can use Windows' 64 bit
> > file addressing.
>
> I googled around a bit and found that there _is_ a POSIX way of
> doing large file support. From what I got, you have to use the
> type "off_t" instead of "long" for file offsets and maybe
> #define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
> #DEFINE _LARGEFILE_SOURCE
> (this goes for GCC and Cygwin version 1.5.0+ shall also support
> it)

I will have a look. Thanks for notifying!

> > May be a bug. I have meanwhile implemented 2.5, without
> > testing it, I send it to you in a separate email. Maybe it
> > changes the 2 behaviour as well, but I don't think so.
>
> It doesn't change the MPEG2 behaviour at all. Here are the new
> results for MPEG2.5:

I have to test for myself to see what's going on. What tool did you use to
generate your test streams?

> > I have also speeded up halftone.exe by a factor of 3. In there
> > some really suboptimal code from my first tries was never
> > reworked. Feel free to redistribute, I can't update my
> > webspace right now.
>
> Couldn't test this one since it is apparently compiled with
> #define PROFILING and I have no Windows C compiler at hand :(

Sorry, yes I noticed later on. Will email you a new one...

> >> But it definitely does reset these. I tested ...
>
> > Other people have reported that as well. I set the volume and
> > init the playback. Maybe there are some side effects. I
> > currently can't compile Rockbox, while being in Taiwan.
>
> I guess this has to wait until you are back in good old europe
> then...

I think I found it. I should not do the mp3_play_init(). The box is normally
initialized for playback already, only after recording we have to do this
call. It resets the MAS. If you can compile rockbox, can you remove this one
and test it?

> > The portability already stops at AVI, I think.
>
> Since there are AVI players for other OSes than Windows, there
> must be something like an open source AVI lib that you can
> compile in. Of course this doesn't make much sense for your tool
> on platforms where AVI is not a canonical video format.

I'll pass on this, leave it to somebody else.

> Afair your one-click-tool will be Windows only either.

Correct.

Jörg