Subject: Re: Video Converter Windows GUI

Re: Video Converter Windows GUI

From: John Wunder <john.wunder02_at_stjohns.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:12:00 -0500

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:29:49 +0100, Uwe Freese <mail_at_uwe-freese.de> wrote:
> Read the first Bytes. If the file starts with "RIFF", it's w WAV. You
> can use StripHdr.exe (command line prog) from WinDac to strip off the
> wav header, or do it yourself in with your GUI program (WAV header is
> 48(?) bytes).

Yeah, I'm replying to the same thing twice. Sue me. Anyway, both start
with RIFF. Apparently avi2wav thinks it's extracting a wav so puts the
wav header on it. So I tested it. Made 2 short clips of AVI, one with
PCM audio and one with MP3 audio. Extracted both with avi2wav. Both had
similar headers:
WAV: RIFF~²' WAVEfmt    D¬ ±   dataX²'
MP3: RIFF‚Ÿ WAVEfmt  U  "V X    ¶  qdataPŸ
(In hex of course...this is just what I got in notepad cause I don't have
a hex editor).

Then I used LAME on both, and the wav of course gave me a good mp3 but the
MP3 with wav header( and file extension) gave me crap.

So, reading the header won't work. Also, it is apparently an mp3 wrapped
in
a wav. Why avi2wav does this is beyond me.