Subject: Brand new JBRv2 - "No valid FAT16/32 partition found"

Brand new JBRv2 - "No valid FAT16/32 partition found"

From: Andy Grundman <andy_at_hybridized.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:41:29 -0500

I'm having a very strange problem. I've already emailed Archos support
but haven't got a reply yet so I'm seeing if anyone on this list has any
ideas.

The very first time I turned on my new Recorder v2 I got this message:

File system error

No valid FAT16/32 file system found

Please format drive

So I hooked it up to my XP computer via USB2.0 and it sees the drive
just fine as a 20gb FAT32 partition. I can copy files back and forth
without any problems! But when I boot it up without a computer
connection I get the same above error. I tried reformatting the drive
with Windows quick format, Windows full format, Partition Magic 7, all
with no luck. chkdsk reports no errors. I even tried a 2GB FAT16
partition just for kicks, but no luck there either. Battery was charged
for 6+ hours by the way. I'm stuck, it is obviously a valid partition
because I can use the drive in Windows, but the Archos firmware doesn't
see it.

Google only returned one message on this mailing list where someone had
this error after using it for a while. Not the same issue as I'm having
though, since he couldn't see the drive on a computer either.
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2003-10/0100.shtml

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
-Andy