Subject: Re[2]: Video Converter Windows GUI
From: John Wunder (
Date: 2004-02-20

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:53:46 +0100, Uwe Freese <> wrote:
> Ah, ok, MP3 with WAV header then.
> The WAV header is 58 bytes long. Look at byte 59+60. If it starts with
> 11 "1" bits, it's the sync word of an mp3. Then you strip off the
> first 58 bytes and feed this mp3 file into lame.

OK, I found the 11 bits, it worked perfectly. I'll just test for that,
and if it's an mp3 I'll feed it into rvf_mux, if not I'll encode with
LAME then feed it in.

The interesting thing is that the mp3 with wav header works in rvf_mux.
I haven't looked at the source code so I don't know why, but I've converted
a couple movies that have mp3 audio, extracted with avi2wav, then just fed
the "wav"(that's actually an mp3) into rvf_mux and it works like a charm.
I haven't seen the source so I don't know why, but it does. So that makes
it 100 times easier because I don't even have to bother stripping the wav
header off the mp3 because it works with it on. Weird.

Thank you so much for your help, I never would have figured it out on my