Subject: Virtual links

Virtual links

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 02:02:41 +0000

Just another stray thought that jumped into my head while cataloguing my
MP3's...
Is there a utility which will deliberately create cross-linked files on a
FAT32 partition.

The good things:
# Multiple 'virtual' copies of an MP3 in different directories
# ZERO mods to Rockbox source

The bad things:
# Windoze will whinge about cross-linked files during it's disk scan
# You will need to remember to erase the 'virtual' entries when you erase
the 'master'

===

Another idea is to have an MP3 file with nothing but an ID3v2 tag (and
maybe 1mS of audio to keep software happy); the tag can contain only an
XLNK entry (which conforms nicely to v2 user-defined-tags) which will in
turn contain the path to the real file.

If this is a good idea (by concensus) I will happily write the Rockbox code
and the engine code to generate the XLNK files, if someone else can help
with the windoze GUI code.

In fact, in another flash of inspiration ...if the Windoze code could be
written as a SHELL EXTENSION, then all you would need is "create virtual
link here" on the right clik menu ...which simplifies the whole idea once
more :)

hmmmm, excuse my typing as I think, this could be very simple!? Any comments?

BC