Subject: Re: Virtual links
From: Jens Arnold (arnold-j_at_t-online.de)
Date: 2004-02-21

Hello BlueChip

On 21.02.2004, you wrote:

> Just another stray thought that jumped into my head while
> cataloguing my MP3's...
> Is there a utility which will deliberately create cross-linked
> files on a FAT32 partition.
> The bad things:
> # Windoze will whinge about cross-linked files during it's
> disk scan # You will need to remember to erase the 'virtual'
> entries when you erase the 'master'

This would really be a _very_ bad idea - a FAT(32) file system
with cross-linked files will be considered as damaged by any
file system checking software because it is out of FAT(32)
specs. You couldn't use any standard tool to check for errors or
to defragment such a file system.

> Another idea is to have an MP3 file with nothing but an ID3v2
> tag (and maybe 1mS of audio to keep software happy); the tag
> can contain only an XLNK entry (which conforms nicely to v2
> user-defined-tags) which will in turn contain the path to the
> real file.

I did also think about the idea of having file links in rockbox
and would consider this A Good Thing(TM). My idea is perhaps
even simpler: Just use the approach windows already has - use
.lnk files (=windows shortcuts). This way you can create them
in windows with no additional tool (don't know about linux).
These .lnk files are small files which contain the path to
the destination and a few other things. The format is not
officially docuemnted by Microsoft but there are a number of
documents on the net. One good document is
http://www.i2s-lab.com/Papers/The_Windows_Shortcut_File_Format.pdf

Regards, Jens