Subject: Re: [OT] Good ways to begin learning C++?

Re: [OT] Good ways to begin learning C++?

From: Henry Mitchell <hmitchell_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:52:32 -0800

Outside of just reading, I think it's worthwhile to invest in a course
at your local community college. I used to teach intro. Java and a full
semester course cost something like US$160. Intro. computer science
type courses (CS101) are generally taught in C++ (sometimes Java) and
will mostly do "C-style" programming before getting into the OOP aspects
of C++. Might be worth considering if you're like me and like to have
some live instruction. They'll also tend to cover common programming
problems like searching, sorting, etc., that are good to know if you
aren't that familiar with them, whereas books that I've seen tend not to
cover that stuff in any significant detail.