Subject: Re: Two-way serial comms with no internal mods...

Re: Two-way serial comms with no internal mods...

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:15:39 +0100

Joseph Jones wrote:
> I talked about this earlier a bit...
>
> Since two-way communication is possible if we use both the line-in's pin
> and the in-line remote pin (man, that looks dumb written like that :) ),

I sure didn't understand what you meant :-)

Two-way communication is possible by changing the direction of the only
pin there is, the remote control input pin.

> would the system be able to talk to PC-style hardware through a serial
> port?

Yes, but not without special hardware in between, both for voltage
conversion and to split the Input and Output to the Rx and Tx pins of
the PC port. I don't know much about PC hardware, but I assume that it
can't change the direction of the serial port pins.

Also, you need to write a special protocol for the PC, as the
communication can only go in one direction at a time.

Linus