Subject: Re: Two-way serial comms with no internal mods...

Re: Two-way serial comms with no internal mods...

From: Joseph Jones <joe_at_bumpycarrot.cjb.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:44:19 +0000

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> Joseph Jones wrote:
>
>> I talked about this earlier a bit...
>>
>> Since two-way communication is possible if we use both the line-in's
>> pin and the in-line remote pin (man, that looks dumb written like that
>> :) ),
>

> I sure didn't understand what you meant :-)
>
> Two-way communication is possible by changing the direction of the only
> pin there is, the remote control input pin.
>
>> would the system be able to talk to PC-style hardware through a serial
>> port?
>

> Yes, but not without special hardware in between, both for voltage
> conversion and to split the Input and Output to the Rx and Tx pins of
> the PC port. I don't know much about PC hardware, but I assume that it
> can't change the direction of the serial port pins.
>
> Also, you need to write a special protocol for the PC, as the
> communication can only go in one direction at a time.
>
> Linus

Right, I think I've made a mis-understanding somewhere, I'm referring
back to this thread:
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2004-02/0166.shtml

So it's only the in-line remote pin that can do any kind of I/O. I think
somewhere I thought that the line-in had a 4th pin on it as well :/

So, basically, could the techniques that are used to interface with an
Alpine CD changer also be used to talk to PC-hardware, with no internal
mods, but allowing for external mods?

I hope that made a bit more sense :)

Joe