Subject: HD error involving liquid

HD error involving liquid

From: Chauncey Canfield <ccanfie_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:20:33 -0800 (PST)

I seem to have a variation on the HD error on my JBR20

Here is the sequence of events leading up to it.

Recorded a killer set from the DJ booth, and hit stop,
recording stopped,
but it was still powered on.
Following DJ spilled a glass of wine on my JBR20.
I unplugged it from AC. It looked fine.
When I hit the off button, the backlight came on, but
it would not power
down. HD wasn't spinning, so I just left it in my bag
overnight to drain
the battery.
Next morning, it allowed me to power it off. I plugged
it into the ac
adapter to let it charge for a road trip.

When I power on, it comes on to 3 bars, and says "Hard
Drive Error, Please
Check HD" at the original OS (pre-rockbox load).

I have replaced the batteries with fully-charged
2000mAH ni-mh ones, but
can't get past this screen and can't get the drive to
show up in XP. USB
Mass Storage Device shows up, but won't start, and no
drive letter is
available. I've ordered an HDD enclosure so I can
hopefully view the
contents of the drive from another machine, but is
there any other button
combination I can use to check the drive, debug, etc.
until that arrives?

Everything else is duplicated/backed up so the only
thing I really want to
get is this DJ set, and will probably replace the
drive with a bigger one,
since I'm opening it up anyway. Do you think it was a
short from the wine,
loss of power, bad solder joint, or coincidence?

Thanks for any advice/input. I love the Rockbox
enhancements.