Subject: Re: Fw: A little wish list for the blind

Re: Fw: A little wish list for the blind

From: David McIntyre <plugh_at_mudbarn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:30:52 -0800

Actually, the way the hardware is engineered, the only sounds that can be
played are mp3 through the decoder chip. The CPU is incapable of creating
mp3 encodings of phoenomes on the fly. There simply isn't enough horsepower to
do so. So if blind users want realtime voice synthesis, they will have to
choose another platform or pay for the SDK and re-program the MAS chip for
other duty.
Another choice here would be rewriting the lang files to be able to point to mp3
files containing voice clips of the various menu options. I'm not sure how easy
this would be, considering that the menu can be displayed while an mp3 is
currently playing. The talkbox mode would have to suspend play every time the
menu was entered so it had access to the sound channel. Perhaps the playing
file could be auto-bookmarked when the menu button was pressed and resumed then
the menu was exited.
I'm just tossing ideas out there, because I'm not a very good coder. I leave it
to others to do the dirty work. :)