Subject: Re: Sucky Batteries

Re: Sucky Batteries

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:04:23 -0500

Another cause of short battery life is silly sample rates. Little harm is
done fooling one's self that 360kbps sampling sounds better than, say, 190kbps
on a home or car stereo but on the jukebox it is a killer. At 360k the hard
drive will run practically all the time.

Downsample to 128k, accept the limitations of portable devices and headphones
and be happy with the results.

John

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:34:15 -0500, "Lucas" <facted_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I too had pretty bad battery life when I first started using rockbox. I
>realized that for me I think the problem was that my max songs in a
>directory and in the playlist was set way too high and eating up my buffer
>use. You might want to try setting those settings to a lower value.
>"Christof Schablinski" <mail2_at_schablinski.de> wrote in message
>> Alan MacDonald wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've read the battery faq, and I guess I'm gonna have to replace the
>> > stock batteries that came with my JBR20. I'm only getting about 1.5
>> > hours of playtime out of them, nowhere near the 6-8 hours I should be
>> > getting.
>> >
>> > I've deep discharged and recharged fully a few times in the hope that it
>> > might improve, but no joy.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had a playtime problem with my JBR20 v1 also, which turned out to be a
>JBR problem (to my mind).
>> After a year of using my JBR, the playtime started to degrade constantly.
>After a while I realized
>> that the JBR shut itself off although the battery indicator didn't show
>empty batteries.
>>
>> I thought it was a battery problem. So I put in the second set of
>batteries that were shipped with
>> my JBR and that I haven't used so far. But this didn't solve the problem.
>Then, I bought a separate
>> NiMH-battery charger. This didn't solve the problem either. Then, I bought
>a new set of NiMH
>> batteries and charged them with my charger. The problem still didn't
>vanish.
>> Finally my JBR broke down (No more sign of life pressing the ON-button).
>After repair the playtime
>> was OK again.
>>
>> Christof

---