Subject: Re: roadmap to blind Rockboxing (need an audio amateur/speaker)

Re: roadmap to blind Rockboxing (need an audio amateur/speaker)

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:22:41 +0100 (MET)

> Can I ask what your resistance is to the phonetic idea? (That is a
> serious question)

Because this is pie-in-the-sky, versus for mp3 clips we have all the
infrastructure.
mp3 clips from the buffer will take only minimum extra resources, some
slight changes to menu and screen code. A TTS engine is a whole lot different.

> My push toward it is that within a couple of versions it could be
> multi-lingual; it would at least _attempt_ to read directory and MP3
> names,
> and the blind users (I guess) would happily rename all their files with
> appropriate phonetic names.

For this we can use talkbox, and you can generate the directory name clips
offline on a PC, using a text-to-speach script, if you like.

> From your post it seems the biggest hurdle would be playing samples < 1s

Hu? No, you can have clips down to 1 frame, which is in the milliseconds.
And latency is also no issue, either we have the clips in the mp3 buffer
(while not playing), or we don't.

Jörg