Subject: RE: roadmap to blind Rockboxing (need an audio amateur/speaker)
From: John covici (
Date: 2004-02-26

I am working on something which spells the filename and has mp3's for
as many of the menu items as I can do. This is still against 2.1
however, I know people have been playing with the menus since, but I
am not sure they are better or not, so I have not updated things.
Also, I don't have so much time, but I thought if it spelled the
filenames (the ones recorded are just date and time anyway) that
would be a first start.

on Thursday 02/26/2004 Lee Marlow( wrote
> Maybe we could have mp3s of all phonetic "syllables" for a language and then
> read words on the fly using an algorithm like soundex or metaphone. These
> algorithms decompose text into its phonetic pronunciation.
> Information and source code for Soundex and Metaphone can be found here:
> This way new words, directories, songs, etc. could be supported without
> additional offline text-to-speech processing. This could be the fallback
> method if a dirname.mp3 file doesn't exist for the directory or a new menu
> option appears that hasn't been recorded yet. It probably wouldn't sound
> very good, but it might make be sufficient.
> -Lee

         John Covici