Subject: unable to format hard drive?
From: John Eckman (
Date: 2004-02-26

My JBR20 has an 80 gig drive in it.
Over the last month or so, I got some file/directory corruption on the disk.
I'd like to reformat it, but I can't! - any recommendations?
Running chkdsk with it connected over USB, all is fine.
Running format /fs NTFS fails - gets all the way up to 100% complete and then just says "Format failed." (I know, NTFS isn't an option - just thought that if I could get the damn thing reformatted to anything, then I could go back to FAT32).
Trying to use Partition Manager or similar to reformat directly to FAT32 I get "I/O Error" messages and the operation fails.
I have a backup of all the files, so I am really just trying to get the thing blanked out so I can restore all the files.
Any advice? (I don't have access currently to a linux box, just win2k or MacOS X).

John Eckman
Principal Consultant
T 617 218 6525
F 617 218 6725