Subject: Playing single tracks from playlist?

Playing single tracks from playlist?

From: Anselm Lingnau <anselm_at_strathspey.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:45:16 +0100

This is my first posting to this list. First of all, thank you all for
RockBox, which I enjoy very much.

I'm a fairly seasoned C programmer, and I'm contemplating various changes to
the software to make RockBox more useful to me as a teacher of Scottish
dancing.

One feature that would be very handy would be the ability to play any single
track from a playlist and then stop. As far as I can tell this involves two
alterations to the code:

- A new »repeat« option to enable the single-shot play mode

- The possibility to display a playlist without actually starting to play the
first track. Right now if one enters a playlist from the file browser the box
immediately starts playing the first track, which I suppose is what you want
unless you are a dance teacher :^)

Could any of you more experienced RockBox hackers give me a head start on how
to go about this? While the code speaks for itself in many places,
unfortunately there is little or no explanation as to how the various pieces
of the software interact.

By way of background explanation, I'm looking at playlists as a way of
categorizing my tracks in various ways (e.g., by type of dance, album,
musician etc.) since it would be very easy to generate these playlists from
ID tags in the MP3 files. An alternative suggestion that has been put forward
is the use of »symbolic links« or .lnk files, but these would be more
difficult to maintain as well as a waste of disk space on a FAT32 file
system. I have already patched RockBox to allow »explanations« in playlists,
i.e., a playlist entry of the form

        /foo/bar.mp3|baz

This makes it convenient to refer to the same file by different titles in
different playlists.

Thank you for all the help you can give!

Anselm