Subject: Re: flash trouble
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (
Date: 2004-02-27

Yann Gensollen wrote:
> i don't understand why i can't flash my recorder with rockbox. as it
> is said in the faq i have question mark in the flash info in debugg
> menu. what does it mean? what can i do to fix it

 From the "How to flash Rockbox on your Archos" on the Rockbox site
(, also in the manual

"Second, you need an in-circuit programmable flash. Chances are about
85% that you have, but Archos also used an older flash chip which can't
do the trick. You can find out via Rockbox debug menu, entry Hardware
Info. If the flash info gives you question marks, you're out of luck.
The only chance then is to solder in the right chip (SST39VF020), at
best with the firmware already in. If the chip is blank, you'll need the
UART boot mod as well."