Subject: Re: question about plugin api extension

Re: question about plugin api extension

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:15:22 +0100 (MET)

> we are some people wanting to use the rockbox as a cd changer emulation,
> or to interface an external control and status hardware.
>
> We could work together and contribute to make a cool api for status
> retrieving.

Yes, count me in on this!
(guess I started it anyhow)

> Do you think the plugin is the best solution?

No, not really, unless a plugin can be something like a "TSR", terminate and
stay resident.
I made my Alpine emulator a plugin, but this is more a proof of concept than
something useable, because a running plugin blocks the box. It's just not
what the plugin system is designed for (a foreground and exclusive
application).

> Personally, I would like the rockbox to be fully integrated. this means
> that
> I would like the rockbox to be automatically powered on and off through
> the head unit.
> Can the plugin be automatically launched?

Currently not, unless you make your private branch from Rockbox.

I suggest we move away from the plugin idea. This is too limiting, unless
extended substantially. I need more access to the playback control and
playlists, an own thread, load a different configuration when in car mode, etc.
Instead the remote control code should be replaceable, so we have the
compile option to use the Archos cable remote as default, or your module, my
Alpine, the IR remote, serial keyboard, whatever there may be in future.
Ultimately this could be runtime-loadable, a different kind of plugin, but
I'm not going that far yet.

> There is only a permanent power in the sony unilink.

> It should be possible to make the rockbox power off by software.
> but how is it possible to power it on? need a hardware mod? (I only have a
> not flashable player not a recorder)

I don't know about the player, but Recorders can be swiched on by a brief
power pulse on the external supply (less than a second, significantly less for
flashed boxes). If you plugin the charger, the box starts. The software then
checks for external power, and if present goes into charging mode. To avoid
this, and do a regular start, the power must be gone by then, hence the pulse.
You can later put the power back on, if you like.

Jörg