Subject: Re: question about plugin api extension
From: jobarjo (
Date: 2004-03-01

> Yes, count me in on this!
> (guess I started it anyhow)

> I suggest we move away from the plugin idea. This is too limiting, unless
> extended substantially. I need more access to the playback control and
> playlists, an own thread, load a different configuration when in car mode,
> Instead the remote control code should be replaceable, so we have the
> compile option to use the Archos cable remote as default, or your module,
> Alpine, the IR remote, serial keyboard, whatever there may be in future.
> Ultimately this could be runtime-loadable, a different kind of plugin, but
> I'm not going that far yet.

Why an own thread? seems a little complicated. The whole thing can be
managed in a state machine way.
Don't you think we can do everything with interrupts?

We might just need 1 function pointer for each application for initializing
(setup uarts, data structure and interrupt handler). this function would
program the interrupt handler for each application.

The firmware might choose to call the desired init for each remote control
Of course, it might be useless to have all protocol handlers in memory.