Subject: Re: Fw: A little wish list for the blind
From: mr.escape_at_gmx.de
Date: 2004-03-03

Ok, I followed this talking rockbox topic for a while and started to think
about a different option to make our machines talk.
What about "assembling" mp2 clips. Not the encoder way with frequency
analyzing, psycho acoustic processing, quantizing, rearranging and huffman
encoding, but only by merging together some pre-computed coefficients and
apply the necessary huffman encoding in the fastest possible way (since the
bitrate is not required to be ultra low).
I suggest mp2 instead of mp3 because it is simpler and should be easier to
synthesize.
The missing part is a software speech synthesizer generating appropriate
frequency/time informations for menu entries and file names on the fly.

mr.escape