Subject: RE: Fw: A little wish list for the blind

RE: Fw: A little wish list for the blind

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:04:48 +0000

>Your posting reads very funny, does your computer stutter?
>I was not able to tell the first URL you gave, too garbled. I found the
>second with googles' help.
>
>My general concern about phonemes is that it would require:
>- a kind of dictionary, ruleset, whatever (could maybe swapped out, like the
>clips)

why not have a language called "blind" example:
english: Sound Menu
blind: sownd men yoo
...then you do not need to do text->phoneme
...there are about 40 phonemes, each would be on a few milliseconds of low
bitrate mono mp3

>- a bunch of code to work with that

well, yes, but any mod is a bunch of new code? :)

>- nicely recorded phonemes that fit very well together

anything would be a start, no?
then people could show off by creating alternate (and better) sound sets.

>- blending from one phoneme to the next, our hardware can do only hard cuts
>(probably some people now want to record all the combinations instead)

40^3, no thanks - without hardware mixing or WAV playback (allowing
software mixing) it is NOT going to be perfect :(

>- tone variations within a sentence, following grammar, to avoid robot-talk,
>can maybe done by pitching

ermmmmmmm .......it works for Hawkings? No, not much of an argument, but
the only other solution seems to be full recorded samples which are (a)
complete with load-lag and (b) unable to read filenmes.

>Even if the code was made back in time for 64kB machines, this is still a
>lot of extra for our box.
>
>Don't get me wrong, it would be great to have synthesis, please feel still
>encouraged. It's just more than I want to do in the first shot.

I agree perfection is not the short-term aim.

My 2c,

BC